Moz is hiring a Director of Data Engineering. You will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our data engineering organization which collects and processes our links index (44 trillion links and counting!), Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs) for millions of keywords (800 million+) and search volume data for those keywords. This data is at the core of our Moz and STAT Search Engine Optimization (SEO) tools, which enable our customers to derive meaningful insights and make informed decisions about their SEO. Your primary focus will be to ensure that your teams are designing and maintaining scalable data infrastructure and implementing robust data collection and processing pipelines, all while staying at the forefront of the SEO industry’s data needs. You and your teams will work closely with cross-functional teams, including software engineers, data scientists, product managers, and executive stakeholders, to drive the successful delivery of data-driven solutions at Moz.
Moz is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. We work to help close the gender gap in tech, and to actively recruit people from other underrepresented groups.
We strongly encourage Black people, indigenous people, Latinx people, people of color, and people in gender minorities to apply for this role.
- Leadership and Strategy: Provide strategic leadership, vision, and guidance to your data engineering teams, aligning their efforts with the company’s goals and objectives.
- Team Management: Build and direct high-performing data engineering teams (including a mix of full-time and contract employees), ensuring they have the necessary skills, resources, and support to excel in their roles.
- Data Infrastructure: Work with your teams and technical leaders to design, develop, and maintain scalable data infrastructure to support the storage and processing of large-scale SEO data as necessary to meet the needs of the business and industry.
- Data Processing and Analysis: Ensure your teams implement efficient data processing and analysis pipelines to derive actionable insights for our tools from complex SEO data sets, leveraging technologies like Hadoop, Spark, or other relevant big data frameworks.
- Data Quality and Governance: Establish and enforce data quality standards and governance policies to ensure data accuracy, consistency, and compliance with industry best practices and expectations.
- SEO Data Integration: Collaborate with SEO specialists and software engineers to develop and integrate data from various sources, including search engines, web analytics tools, and third-party APIs, to enhance our SEO software’s capabilities.
- Performance Optimization: Ensure your organization continuously optimizes data processing and storage systems for improved performance, scalability, and cost efficiency.
- Cross-organizational Collaboration: Foster creative collaboration not only within your organization but with product managers, marketing teams, SEO specialists, and SMEs to align data engineering initiatives with forward-thinking product roadmaps and business objectives.
- Industry Trends and Innovation: Stay up to date with the latest trends and advancements in big data technologies, SEO analytics, and data engineering best practices, and apply this knowledge to drive innovation within the organization and our products.
Experience We Want to See:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience (8+ years) in data engineering, with a focus on big data processing and analysis.
- Solid understanding of data integration and ETL processes, with experience working with APIs and data from various sources.
- Familiarity with big data processing frameworks like Hadoop, Spark, or Flink, and related technologies such as Hive, Pig, or Kafka.
- At least 3 years experience in a leadership role with experience managing other people managers.
- Strong leadership and team management skills, with a proven track record of building and leading high-performing teams.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical thinking abilities, with a focus on delivering data-driven insights and solutions.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and present complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
Nice to Have Qualifications
- Experience specifically using AWS for large data solutions.
- Curiosity or passion around popular programming languages and paradigms used in data processing and modeling.
- Strong knowledge of SEO principles, search engine algorithms, and web analytics tools.
- Familiarity with data marketplaces such as Snowflake and Databricks.
About Moz Group
The Moz Group, a subsidiary of Ziff Davis, Inc (NASDAQ: ZD), is a leading provider of marketing technology solutions primarily for small and medium-sized enterprises, consisting of a portfolio of brands across digital media and cloud services. Our SEO brands include Moz and STAT, Email Marketing brands include Campaigner, iContact, Kickbox, and SMTP, and finally our Communications brands are made up of Line2 and eVoice.
The Moz Group is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. We work to help close the gender gap in tech, and to actively recruit people from other underrepresented groups. We strongly encourage women, gender diverse people, and minority candidates to apply.
Our parent company, Ziff Davis, has once again achieved a perfect score of 100 in the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation’s 2023 Corporate Equality Index (CEI). The CEI is a vital benchmarking tool that evaluates corporate policies and practices, and our consistent top score demonstrates our ongoing dedication to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment for all.