Hi, we’re ZOE
We’re a team of scientists, developers, marketers and more, changing the way the world eats. With our personalised nutrition programme, we’re on a mission to improve the health of millions, and with plans as vast as the plants on our plate, we need the best team. Or ZOEntists, as we like to call ourselves.
We’re backed by leading venture capital firm Accomplice (backers of Angellist and Zoopla), world-renowned entrepreneurs, like Stephen Bartlett (also a proud brand ambassador), and we’ve raised over £70m in funding as of July 2023.
With Professor Tim Spector and Dr Sarah Berry leading our science, we have over 63,000 global members and, in our 2022 crowdfunding campaign, we welcomed 13,000 ‘Owners’.
Got a good (gut) feeling it could be you? Head to our career page to find out more.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to take ZOE even further.
What’s the role?
We are looking for technically minded people leaders who prioritise building a culture that enables their team to sustainably deliver at pace. You will partner with fellow engineers, product managers, data scientists, product designers and UX researchers to deliver meaningful customer impact and make ZOE a great place to work.
Meet the team
ZOE’s Technology teams are working on unique product challenges: building delightful user experiences, analysing data for millions of users, predicting food responses, integrating with labs, automating our logistics, or acquiring customers at scale.
We are always looking for innovative thinkers and doers to join our team. Together, we can improve human health and touch millions of lives.
We strive to make use of best practices, and believe in always choosing the right tool for the job. We move fast, gathering feedback from our (at least) daily deployments. We collaborate and learn together, building strong working relationships that help us to build a product to fulfil our mission to improve the health of millions. Find out more about our group on zoe.tech
We’ll be counting on you to:
- Leading a team of 3-6 engineers, focusing on outcome over output
- Spending 40%-60% of your time deep in the code, leading by example on code and testing best practices. You are not afraid to dive into very technical conversations.
- Challenging the team on scope or sequencing to deliver faster, while still decreasing technical debt.
- Coaching, mentoring and developing high-performing engineers.
- Ensuring high psychological safety, where collaboration and equal voice are cornerstones of the team culture.
- Partnering with other engineering managers on cross cutting initiatives like hiring or onboarding.
- Building good relationships with your stakeholders to establish a roadmap that delivers value to our members.
- Releasing small changes regularly to get fast feedback from our users
- Optimising application performance and ensuring smooth user experience across different platforms and devices.
- Providing constructive feedback through code reviews and regular 1:1s
- Staying updated with the latest trends and advancements to proactively bring new ideas and approaches to the team.
- Thinking longer term when solving challenges to ensure we build scalable, maintainable, observable systems that will continue to meet our needs as we grow.
This role will be a great fit if:
- Are experienced in leading a distributed full-stack team, in a fast pace environment.
- Are someone who takes ownership and is comfortable with ambiguity. You provide clarity and make things happen.
- Have the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- A servant leader who leads by example, finding opportunities for others to grow and shine.
- Someone who enjoys stepping back and seeing problems from a different perspective in order to find innovative solutions.
- Have great communication skills, both verbal and in writing.
- Have an appetite to work closely with our product team to test and release new ideas fast.
- Have experience with paired programming.
- Are data-driven. You challenge teams to measure impact and demonstrate added value.
- Have strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Pay close attention to detail and a commitment to delivering high-quality code.
We will also appreciate if you have any of the following
- An incredible growth mindset. You read books, watch talks, listen to podcasts and are never afraid to try new things.
- Experience building mobile apps.
- Experience with scalability (backend, data pipelines).
- Experience working with Support teams, and understand best practices for handling Support at scale.
- Experience working with payments and finance.
- Experience with state management libraries (e.g., Redux, MobX) and UI component libraries (e.g., Material-UI, Ant Design).
- Experience deploying machine learning in production.
These are the ideal skills, attributes, and experience we’re looking for in this role. Don’t worry if you don’t tick all the boxes, especially on the skills and experience front, we’re happy to upskill for the right candidate.
Life as a ZOEntist – what you can expect from us:
As well as industry-benchmarked compensation and all the hardware and software you need, we offer a thoughtfully-curated list of benefits. We expect this list to evolve as we continue supporting our team members’ long-term personal and professional growth, and their wellbeing.
Remote-first: Work flexibly – from home, our London office, or anywhere within the EU
Stock options: So you can share in our growth
Paid time off: 28 days paid leave (25 holiday days, plus 2 company-wide reset days, and 1 “life event” day)
Enhanced Parental Leave: On top of the statutory offering
Flexible private healthcare and life assurance options
Pension contribution: Pay monthly or top up – your choice.
Health and wellbeing: Like our Employee Assistance Program and Cycle to Work Scheme
Social, WFH, and Growth (L&D) budgets. Plus, multiple opportunities to connect, grow, and socialise
We’re all about equal opportunities
We know that a successful team is made up of diverse people, able to be their authentic selves. To continue growing our team in the best way, we believe that equal opportunities matter, so we encourage candidates from any underrepresented backgrounds to apply for this role. You can view our Equal Opportunities statement in full here.
A closer look at ZOE
Think you’ve heard our name somewhere before? We were the team behind the COVID Symptom Study, which has since become the ZOE Health Study (ZHS). We use the power of community science to conduct large-scale research from the comfort of contributors’ own homes. Our collective work and expertise in biology, engineering, and data/nutrition science have led to multiple breakthrough papers in leading scientific journals such as Nature Medicine, Science, The Lancet, and more.
Seen ZOE in the media recently? Catch our co-founder Professor Tim Spector (one of the world’s most cited scientists) and our Chief Scientist Dr Sarah Berry on this BBC Panorama, and listen to CEO Jonathan Wolf unpack the latest in science and nutrition on our ZOE podcast.
Oh, and if you’re wondering why ZOE? It translates to “Life” in Greek, which we’re helping ZOE members enjoy to the fullest.
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://euremotejobs.com/job/engineering-manager-7/→