Hi, I’m Terry – Director of Engineering, Platform Experience. Customer.io is looking for a collaborative Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) who loves solving interesting puzzles and is excited to help us build out a scalable, reliable platform that our customers love.
Our small, remote-first team is fun-loving, passionate and highly effective. We offer a lot of opportunity to grow and refine your skills while having a significant impact. The other members of our site reliability team have backgrounds in a wide variety of industries, from Telecom to Gaming, with 10 – 20 years of experience in DevOps. We believe that embracing our unique perspectives and expertise is key to our success as a collaborative team.
Our mission is to provide a best-in-class message management system to help our customers quickly craft meaningful content that reaches their customers. A core component of our Journeys application is delivering email, a critical service our customers expect to be available and performant. Building a repeatable, scalable and high performant infrastructure for our MTA (mail transfer agent), we can enhance the customer experience by ensuring email is delivered with expected accuracy and performance while providing improved observability.
We are seeking product-minded, empowered individuals who work collaboratively with their peers on interesting problems, and get those solutions into the hands of customers quickly. We value diversity, attracting the best people in the world to serve as colleagues. Our flexibility and freedom to work from anywhere in the world enables you to craft a work environment in which you can do your best work.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will:
- Design, build, and maintain core MTA infrastructure pieces that allow Customer.io scaling to support real-time processing and delivery of billions of messages
- Plan the growth of Customer.io’s MTA infrastructure
- Automate the deployment process to make it as boring as possible
- Be on our on-call rotation to respond to Customer.io availability incidents and provide support for technical support engineers with customer incidents
- Ensure monitoring and alerting, alert on symptoms and not on outages
- Document every action so lessons learned turn into repeatable actions and then into automation
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Take an active role in a friendly and supportive team that encourages you and the entire company to grow as individuals, professionals, and teams
- Learn, practice, and share with your coworkers through code review, pair programming, team collaboration, and training to help improve our collective knowledge and best practices together
What we’re looking for:
- A collaborative mindset backed by excellent communication skills and a desire to help us make great decisions in an empathetic and respectful way
- Experience in managing and working with MTAs including MTA administration as a postmaster
- A solid understanding of problems of scalability and experience deploying and managing distributed MTAs on cloud infrastructure
- Demonstrated track record of building and maintaining relationships within the MTA industry.
- Proven experience building infrastructure via code and automating operational toil
- Deep knowledge of UNIX environments and the ability to apply modern collaborative development practices. Go experience is nice to have, but most of our engineers have succeeded while picking it up on the job
- A self-starter who values synchronous and asynchronous work
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform would be nice to have
- Preferably based in North/South America time zones.
We understand that you might not have all the skills we’ve listed, and that’s okay. If you have a combination of some of the items listed and you’re interested in developing in the others, we want to hear from you!
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 5,500 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, push notifications, and in-app messages. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We offer a starting salary of USD $153,850-$170,000 USD (or equivalent in local currency) depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 16 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, workshops, and passion projects – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Opportunities to meet in-person with your peers throughout the year
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete a background check and employment verifications as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! We will respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process (order is subject to change):
- 30 minute video call with Recruiter
- 60 minute technical interview with two potential teammates
- Homework assignment + 60 minute Review call with two potential teammates
- Final 30 minute call with Terry, the Hiring Manager
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://remotewoman.com/job/senior-site-reliability-engineer-noram-5/→