Hi, I’m Mamun – Site Reliability Engineering Manager. Customer.io is looking for a collaborative Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) who loves solving interesting puzzles and is excited to help us build out a scalable, reliable platform that our customers love. The successful candidate should also be able work independently when needed and be able to lead other SREs.
Our small, remote-first team is fun-loving, passionate and highly effective. We offer a lot of opportunity to grow and refine your skills while having a significant impact. The other members of our site reliability team have backgrounds in a wide variety of industries, from Telecom to Gaming, with 10 – 20 years of experience in DevOps. We believe that embracing our unique perspectives and expertise is key to our success as a collaborative team.
We are seeking product-minded, empowered individuals who work collaboratively with their peers on interesting problems, and get those solutions into the hands of customers quickly. We value diversity, attracting the best people in the world to serve as colleagues. Our flexibility and freedom to work from anywhere in the world enables you to craft a work environment in which you can do your best work.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will:
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure pieces that allow Customer.io scaling to support real-time processing and delivery of billions of messages
- Plan the growth of Customer.io’s infrastructure
- Automate the deployment process to make it as boring as possible
- Be on our on-call rotation to respond to Customer.io availability incidents and provide support for technical support engineers with customer incidents
- Ensure we have adequate observability of our infrastructure and applications.
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Take an active role in a friendly and supportive team that encourages you and the entire company to grow as individuals, professionals, and teams
- Learn, practice, and share with your coworkers through code review, pair programming, team collaboration, and training to help improve our collective knowledge and best practices together
What we’re looking for:
- Preferably 7+ years of experience as a site reliability engineer and/or software engineer
- A collaborative mindset backed by excellent communication skills and a desire to help us make great decisions in an empathetic and respectful way
- Ability to work independently in your timezone and make progress on tasks and projects without needing frequent guidance
- Ability to work with all Engineering teams and lead technical discussions and solve problems
- Inclination to proactively find problems and solve them
- Ability to coach junior SREs and elevate them.
- Ability to take on long-term projects and see them through completion
- Experience in managing and working with RDB systems (MySQL)
- A solid understanding of problems of scalability and experience deploying and managing distributed applications on cloud infrastructure
- Proven experience building cloud infrastructure via code using Terraform and automating operational toil
- Deep knowledge of UNIX environments and the ability to apply modern collaborative development practices.
- A security-first mindset
- A self-starter who values synchronous and asynchronous work
- Go experience is a nice to have, but most of our engineers have succeeded while picking it up on the job
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform is nice to have
- Based in APAC time zones
We understand that you might not have all the skills we’ve listed, and that’s okay. If you have a combination of some of the items listed and you’re interested in developing in the others, we want to hear from you!
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 7,100 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track the performance of emails, SMS, push notifications, and in-app messages. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $160,000 – $180,000 USD (or equivalent in local currency) depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage at least 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave (including adoption and foster care)
- 100% paid insurance premiums for you and your dependents
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar-for-dollar match to retirement contributions
- $1,500 annual healthy lifestyle budget (for gym memberships, classes, fitness equipment)
- $250/monthly Remote Work Stipend to be used for home internet, cell phone, and other miscellaneous remote work costs
- $300/month co-working space rental reimbursement
- $2,000/yearly professional education budget for conferences, courses, workshops, books, etc.
- $1,500 home office budget to make sure your working space is ergonomic and just what you need to do your best work!
- One month sabbatical after five years at Customer.io
- We also have opportunities to meet in person with your peers throughout the year
All final candidates will be asked to complete a background check and employment verifications as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! We plan to respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30-minute video call with a Recruiter
- 60-minute video call with the Hiring Manager
- Take Home Assignment
- 90-minute Technical Interview & Assignment Review Call
- Final Interview with the Head of Platform