Your online presence is often the first and sometimes only chance to make a powerful impact. And a professional headshot is among the most essential elements.
However, professional photoshoots cost hundreds these days, and that’s where AI headshots come into play.
What Are AI Headshots?
AI headshots are the new-age approach to obtaining high-quality, close-up pictures without the need to stand in front of a camera. These tools leverage the power of machine learning and algorithms to craft realistic representations of people.
The mechanics behind them are quite straightforward.
- Reference Images: Unlike traditional photography, AI headshots don’t require you to strike a pose. Instead, users provide various images, usually between eight and twelve.
- AI Modeling: The system uses the images to learn and understand your unique facial features or characteristics — constructing an AI model that can recreate the face.
- Personalization: Many AI headshots tools allow users to play around with various aspects of their photo, including looks, hairstyles, backdrops, clothing, and the overall vibe.
- Final Output: After making your choices, all that’s left is to wait a few minutes for the photo.
The reviews have been mixed. Some people are happy with their results, while others aren’t. So I decided to try generating some AI headshots.
My Experience with ProPhotos AI
From my research, ProPhotos AI is one of the tools making waves because of the quality of photos it generates and its intuitiveness. So I uploaded my images onto the website for some pictures.
It took 30 minutes for me to receive an email notification that the photos were ready, even though the company noted 2 to 3 hours on their website.
Here are the best results:
Overall, the results were fantastic. It can certainly transform casual snapshots into accurate and hyper-realistic professional headshots. Plus, it only cost $25, and I received 40 unique headshots. A professional photographer would charge $1000+ for that many photos.
The convenience, affordability, and quality are impressive.
Should You Use AI Headshots
A LinkedIn study revealed that profiles with professional headshots receive 21 times more views and nine times more connection requests. So there’s no question that you need one.
But use AI only if you want to save money on a professional headshot because authenticity is critical for trust. AI headshots might not truly represent your appearance, undermining trust and credibility in face-to-face meetings.
There are also other considerations to think about, including:
- With deepfakes and other manipulated content on the rise, there’s growing public skepticism around computer-generated images.
- AI may not be able to replicate the depth and connection a human photographer can achieve.
- One of the most telling signs of an AI headshot is in the eyes. AI-generated eyes might appear vacant or misaligned, lacking the warmth and engagement of genuine human eyes.
- AI headshots may not be suitable when genuine representation is crucial.
- Be aware of how much alteration is deemed acceptable in your industry, as the line between AI generation and retouching can sometimes become blurred.
- Present AI tech may not always detect and replicate details accurately, such as exact skin tones, hair color, or other specific features.
- Trends come and go. While AI headshots are becoming popular now, they could be perceived differently in the future. So follow the trends and keep your profile or branding updated.
My Final Thoughts
AI headshots technology is undoubtedly a solution to some cost and accessibility barriers traditionally associated with professional photography. It’s a feasible alternative for people to access professional-grade headshots without the typical associated expenses or physical demand.
However, try to use AI-generated photos that have subtle enhancements to maintain authenticity. In other words, critically assess authenticity before settling on any AI headshot. For example, ProPhotos AI gave me many unique headshots, and I chose the most authentic-looking ones.
The technology will get even better over time.
I’m a freelance copywriter and SEO specialist. I aim to empower individuals and businesses with impactful marketing solutions and insights. In my downtime, I recharge by embracing the beauty of nature or cherishing moments with my loved ones. If you found value in this post, please consider sharing it.